Monday 15 February 2010

06/02/2010 Gateaux Basque

It was a big birthday for my biggest sister on 03/02/2010 and we all went out for a meal to celebrate. I was unsure what to cake to bake for her, as the last few times I've been home I've been forced to make a lemon and almond cake because everyone loves them so much. But I was determined not to pander to my nephew and niece too much! I have been on holiday for 4 summers now with The Jones' and my sister Claire and 3 of those have been in France. The first year we went Claire and I camped outside The Jones' static caravan. It rained a lot, we played lots of 'bullshit' and we ate lots. One time Claire and I came back with a 'Gateaux Basque'. We had no idea what we had bought, but it looked delicious and as we were in Basque country it seemed very fitting. After tea, we got it out on our little camp table and Chris said he wouldn't like it because it had cherries in. Sally, Claire and I are not the fussiest people when it comes to cake but WOW. It was a dense large crumbed cake with cherries and custard sandwiched in between. Chris had some, decided it 'wasn't that bad' and we pro ceded to eat a lot if not all of the cake. Needless to say I was very excited when I came across a recipe in Floyd on France.



The recipe I found had no fruit in but if there had been some rhubarb in my mums garden then I would have put some in. Above is the gateaux in its naked state.



I thought icing sugar on top would be good so I made an 'S' stencil and coated the top. I then used this template to put the candles in. I also made some meringue with the left over egg whites.



No comments:

Post a Comment