Monday 26 October 2009

23/09/2009 Baked Po-cake-o

The story behind this cake is a strange one. I was talking about making my friend Jane a cake for her birthday and Yuki at my work told me about a book her friend has that has potato cakes in it, as in a cake that looks like a potato, rather than the the Irish ones. She said they look like soiled potato's out of the ground. I thought this was an incredible idea, and very weird. I got a little carried away with the idea of a baked potato cake and here is the result...



I baked a wholemeal sponge cake fashioned it into a potato shape then covered it in buttercream, adding more on top. I then rolled marzipan with the bottom side in cocoa. I then wrapped the potato in it's marzipan jacket and artfully drizzled/ spread it with melted dark chocolate and put it in the fridge. I then slit and pushed it as you would a normal jacket.



I charmed the man in the kebab shop and he gave me a takeaway carton. You can see the scale of the potato because it's busting out of the tray. I grated marzipan to make the cheese and I had made marzipan beans the night before so that they hardened. I then heated up some jam and mixed the 'beans' in. Jacket po-cake-o with cheese and beans was born!




I finished it off with a plastic fork and took it to the pub for Jane to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment