Thursday 21 January 2010

15/11/09 Chestnut, celeriac and potato pie

Some friends were coming around for dinner and I had been wanting to do two things; make rough puff pasty and use the chestnuts that I'd bought. So I decided to do a pie.
Lots of the cooking and baking that I do for other people is rooted in selfishness. I want to try out a new technique, or have some things that need using up and nine times out of ten these things turn up as presents.
Here is the shiny, pasty loveliness before I baked it.



Bang! B-E-A-utiful out of the oven. I was very pleased with myself.



I sliced the potato and celeriac and crumbled the chestnuts in between the layers. I had some left over French onion soup and I made a bechamel and added the soup. This was the sauce in the pie. This is how it turned out on the inside.



To accompany the pie I cooked red cabbage and apple with balsamic vinegar and made a puy lentil salad with mustard vinegrette. All plates were emptied!

No comments:

Post a Comment